Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bacon 'n caviar

The sonorous melodies of the harp reasonate around the gilded, stunning room. In front of me as I come in lie a mound of strawberries and three bottles of champagne on ice. I make my way to the centre of the decorated hall, gazing up at the ornate stained window ceiling and the beautiful lighting. To my right a pile of caviar sits waiting with my name on. This is elegant luxury defined. It also happens to be my breakfast dining room for today and tomorrow here at the Grand Hotel Europe in wonderful St Petersburg. Whoever came up with that dietary manta that one should eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper may well have had the Tsar-tastic brekkie I just wolfed down in mind. And even I thought it was too decadent to have champagne at breakfast!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Tsartastic!

Unknown said...

So wots wrong with champers? Georgian maybe!

Unknown said...

Loose the caviar and bring on the champers!

Paul French said...

yes, all very well but were the baked beans any good - more than one seemingly excellent breakfast buffet has been let down by poor quality and tepid baked beans you know